Elevation (USGS, elevations are from the National Elevation Dataset)
Low: 3,035 ft. - Congress Railroad Station
High: 3,396 ft. - Congress Mine
Population: 1,975 (2010 census)
Gold was discovered at Congress in 1884. By 1893, the Santa Fe Railroad passed within three miles of the mine, at Congress Junction. Congress boomed, and remained prosperous until the mid-1930s, when the mines closed. Total gold production at the Congress Mine exceeded $8 million, at the then-current price of $20.67 per ounce—or about $400 million, at the 2007 price.
The post office moved to Congress Junction in 1938, where it remains. The community now known as Congress is the old Congress Junction. Little remains at the original townsite.
Story about Congress
Philip Varney, 1994, Arizona Ghost Towns, Phoenix, Arizona Highways ISBN 0-916179-44-3
Congress' post office was established January 19, 1889 and discontinued August 31, 1928. The gold mine that boomed this town was discovered by Dennis May on March 25, 1884. There were two sections to Congress, "Mill town", and "Lower town", the later of which contained the residences and general businesses. Congress even had its own electric light plant. But, as with most towns of this age, water was scarce. After the mines petered out the town lived on as a railroad station only to become what today is known as Congress Junction. Many structures are left today including the old cemetery, and Congress Junction can be found on any state map.-GT
Congress is located on the junction between SR 71 and SR 89 and the town was divided in two: "Mill Town" and "Lower Town". "Mill Town" was close to the mines and there were company's offices, one hospital and residences. "Lower Town" was longer to the south and there was shopping area with restaurants, shops and saloon, two churches and one school. The only thing what is left from Lower Town now, is cemetery. Congress become to live after Dennis May found gold on mart 25, 1884. Mine was sold in 1887 and again in 1894, when flourishing period began. Santa Fe, Prescott & Phoenix Railroad passed 3 miles from the town in 1893. The station known as Congress Junction, give this little community live and the town become own post office. In 1899 was Congress Consolidated Railroad finished between the mine and the Congress Junction. Congress was a growing mine town and the rich Congress mine employed more then 400 mend. In the middle of 190. the mine was empty. Post office opened on January 19, 1889 and closed in August 1938. The mail for Congress was in future sent to post office in Congress Junction, starting on November 1, 1938. The Railroad Company build their own Congress, witch exist today. The earlier Congress Junction become ghost town and Congress followed the same destiny as many other towns in Arizona. -Bobby Zlatevski